Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 27 - September 10, 2009

I grew up as a Disney-girl. Our first VHS tapes were Walt Disney classics like Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians. I paired oversized Disney World sweatshirts with purple tights and pink Beauty and the Beast sandals. I wore Winnie the Pooh pajamas until I was 15. My siblings and I would sing along with The Lion King soundtrack on road trips to Florida. One summer, my friend, Rebecca, and I watched The Little Mermaid every, and I mean EVERY, weekday and by day 7 could recited every word by heart. So, as a Disney-girl, I find myself relating many of life’s happenings to Disney movies or characters. (Aside: The first time I went surfing, I told Greg that I felt like Ariel, from The Little Mermaid, when I pushed myself up on the surf board. If the beach hadn’t been so packed, I probably would have belted out “Part of Your World.”)


I remember the summer my parents first introduced us to the public library. My sister and I were thrilled that we were allowed to get our own library card. As a family of 6, there were very few things that were all our own and this library card was one of those. Come to think of it, I kept that card safely in my Mickey Mouse wallet. I was devastated when I lost that wallet and my precious card, one year, in a Florida toy store. Anyway, back to the library. After receiving our cards, my parents lead us to the fiction section of the library and told us we could choose any book we wanted. I felt like I was in that heart-warming scene from Beauty and the Beast where the Beast gives Belle the library. It was like a dream come true.


When we moved here, I was excited to find that the closest public library was just down the street from our place. Greg and I walked over on one of our first weekends here and I received my first library card since I was a child. All those butterflies I felt on my first trip to the public library came back that day. I still couldn’t believe that I could choose any book I wanted to take home with me. I experience a Beauty and the Beast moment every time I step into the sea of books. Have you experienced any Disney moments lately?


0 comments:

Post a Comment