Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 28 - September 11, 2009

On Wordless Wednesday, my husband made a comment about how it really should have been Wordless Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wordless Week would have made more sense. I know, I know. I’ve been a little absent lately, but I have a good excuse. We’ve had a houseguest for the last 10 days. My father-in-law, Tim, flew down for a nice long visit. It was especially nice for Greg to see a familiar face since he hadn’t seen family since March. We had a wonderful time going for walks on the beach and reading by the pool. Tim surprised me last night with a beautiful bouquet of wildflowers. They are gorgeous and sure beat my dying pink gerberas from the 99c Only Store.



After dropping Tim off at the airport, Greg and I decided to go out for lunch since we hadn’t had much time alone in the last week and a half. We were looking forward to a quiet lunch, catching up, at a little buffet a few blocks from the airport. When we got there, the place was fairly empty and we found a private booth in the back corner. About half way through our meal, I noticed two very tall gentlemen settling down at a table adjacent to ours. I’m a people watcher, so my eyes followed them as they took off their sports jackets and prepared to go get food. They turned towards the buffet and that’s when I saw it. A shiny silver pistol stuck out of the one man’s belt holster. Is it just me, or when you see a gun, do you immediately scan the room for the nearest exit? I whispered to Greg, “Don’t turn around now, but that guy has a gun. What would he been doing with a gun in a little family-style buffet?” Greg came to the conclusion that he must be a detective. He did have a badge so Greg was probably right. Detective or not, I was going to be prepared if something went wrong. My imagination went wild and I started believing that someone at the buffet would grab his gun and start shooting up the place (maybe I shouldn’t have read that Columbine book the other week). I found my nearest exit and knew I could use a chair to smash the window in the event that everyone decided to flock to MY exit. Greg could see my wheels turning as I watched the man walk back to his table. “What are you doing?” Greg asked. I told him I had to keep my eyes on the man in case his gun fell into the wrong hands and I needed to quickly jump under the table for cover. No joke. It sounds silly now, but trust me, had something happened, I’d have been the only one prepared. As we walked out of the restaurant, I thought, “Only in America.” You would never see a man with a gun at the Pizza Hut lunch buffet back in Canada. The cops would have the place surrounded before I could even locate all possible exits. Just when I started thinking I could get used to living in the good ole US of A, I am reminded of how lucky I am to be Canadian and how nice it will be to some day walk back into a Canadian restaurant and not worry about who’s carrying a gun.


P.S. I hope I didn’t offend any Americans. I have a very vivid imagination and grew up in a household where even the little plastic Lego guns were thrown out so seeing a gun in public is a very big deal in my world. Just as I’m sure you are a proud American citizen, I am proud to be Canadian!



0 comments:

Post a Comment