Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Day 32 - September 15, 2009

Dollar Store Decadence


The other night, I had a late night chocolate craving and my immediate instinct was to go to my new cookbook and whip up the Chocolate Layer Cake I had bookmarked. I opened the cupboard only to realize that we had no cocoa powder. Then I noticed a box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix I had bought for Greg to make himself cupcakes while I was out of the country this summer. This wasn’t your regular Betty Crocker cake mix. I had bought this mix at the 99c Only Store and I had never heard of the brand so I was a little skeptical. I have been pleasantly surprised by most of my dollar food finds so I thought, how bad could it be?


I followed the package directions and then gave it a little taste. It definitely tasted like a box cake. Even Betty’s cake batter tastes better. (Aside: Remind me to share my incredibly delicious and super simple Chocolate Fudge Cookie recipe that uses a Betty Crocker cake mix.) So anyway, I immediately thought, what can I do to make these cupcakes better? Answer: milk chocolate chips. If you’ve never tried this, consider it the next time you reach for a boxed mix. Add 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (or whatever chocolate chips or chunks you have on hand). Bake. Top with vanilla buttercream, cream cheese, or chocolate frosting and voila! Dollar store decadence! Nothing beats biting into a warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip explosion cupcake. And not only does it improve the taste of a cake mix, adding chocolate chips also stretches the batter so you’ll end up with 1/3 more cupcakes than you expected. What a delicious way to stretch a buck!


2 comments:

Post a Comment