Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 38 - September 21, 2009

Meatloaf with a twist!

Ever since I made those deliciously decadent chocolate chip explosion cupcakes last weekend, I’ve been thinking a lot about other recipes I could revamp by adding that special something. So when I decided to make turkey meatloaf I thought, what would put this meatloaf over the edge. The answer…CHEESE!! I took my usual turkey meatloaf recipe and mixed in small cubes of cheese before transferring the mixture to a loaf pan for baking. I could hear the cheese bubbling away as it baked and the incredible aroma filled our place. My mouth watered as I cut the finished meatloaf revealing the gooey melted cheese inside. I went back to the oven for seconds and it was definitely a hit with my husband. I think I’ll be adding cheese from now on.


The other option I thought of was adding chopped apple along with the cheese. I always add apple to homemade turkey burgers so why not meatloaf? Apples just give that unexpected sweetness which I love! I also know a lot of people add shredded zucchini, carrots, and other vegetables to their meatloaf. This is a great way to add nutrients and get your daily veggies in your diet. Greg suggested I add corn next time. Yum! Try out one or more of those options the next time you make your meatloaf recipe and let me know what you think.


Here is my Easy Cheesy Turkey Apple Meatloaf recipe. Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS

2 pounds ground turkey

1 cup milk

1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

2 eggs

2 cloves garlic

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Seasoning (ie. Garlic Plus)

Chopped onion

Chopped apple

Cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup ketchup

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. In a bowl, mix the turkey, milk, bread crumbs, garlic, onions, and eggs by hand. Season with salt, pepper, and other seasonings. Fold the cheese cubes and apples into the mixture. Transfer to a loaf pan and top with ketchup.

3. Bake for about 1 hour (or until completely cooked through).


As you can see, it was so delicious that it didn’t even last long enough for a picture!

0 comments:

Post a Comment