Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 39 - September 22, 2009

Meet Sarah.


Sarah is a wayward traveler. She is an adventure seeker. She has been all over the world and has seen and experienced more in the last few years than many of us will ever have the opportunity to experience in a lifetime. But yesterday was her first time in L.A. and I had the privilege of showing her around during her 5-hour stop over on her way to New Zealand.

With Sarah, there is never a dull moment. She is one of those friends who makes life interesting. One of those people who reminds you that you only have one life to live so you better make it a good one. She is a risk taker and when you’re with her, she pushes you out of your comfort zone (in a good way) and challenges you to do things you wouldn’t dare do alone. Yesterday, she did exactly that!

We were walking along the marina when all of a sudden we heard barking. This was not the bark of a dog or that of a woman barking orders at her husband. No, this was not an everyday bark. We scanned the rows of boats in search of the source of that awful barking. And then we saw them. Three enormous seals sunbathing on the dock. Can you spot them?


We hurried to the other side of the marina to get a closer look. Unfortunately, a concrete post blocked our view of these massive creatures.


I knew the gates to the marina were locked and entrance into the marina was reserved for boat owners only. So close, I thought. I was ready to turn around and head home when, all of a sudden, Sarah hopped onto a garbage can, jumped over the gate, opened the door, and motioned for me to come in.



Her actions should not have surprised me, but there I stood in shock. I quickly scanned the area to make sure no one had seen her jump the fence and then proceeded to follow her down the ramp toward the seals.


What an incredible sight! In the 9 months we have been here, not once, have we seen seals. Sarah visits for 5 hours and there they are posing for us on the dock. As Sarah watched in awe of their size and movements, I watched in both amazement and fear. What if they mistook my camera for a harpoon and came after us? (Aside: Are harpoons even used to hunt seals?) We had heard from a passing lady that it is seal mating season and that they are dangerous animals. Whether that was true or not is still to be determined, but I wasn’t going to take any chances. I am alive to tell the tale, so yes, to answer your question; we made it out of harms way, but not before I took over 100 photos!





0 comments:

Post a Comment