Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 41 - September 24, 2009

Have you ever stopped to smell a book? Have you ever found yourself flipping through the pages of a good book, just breathing in the scent? I recently borrowed The Time Traveler’s Wife from a friend of mine. I love this book already and I haven’t even begun to read it.

The pages are a soft, creamy white and feel like silk to the touch. I’m serious. (Mental note: If I ever fulfill my dream of publishing a book, call Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. I HAVE to have this paper.)

This book looks and smells well loved. The front cover curls upward from being held open too long.

The bottom of most of the pages are water stained and wavy from being held against a damp towel on the way home from a day of reading at the beach.

I could sit for hours taking in the smell of this book. It smells like a mixture of sunscreen, baby lotion, and expensive paper. How do I know what expensive paper smells like? Well, I smelled every other book in our apartment and they all smell like cheap newsprint or the chemicals used in making plastic. Bleh!

I have an assignment for all of you. Go now to your bookshelf, choose a book, and take a whiff. Then come back here and leave a comment below letting me know what book you chose and what its pages smell like. Can’t wait to hear from you!

3 comments:

Gregory Culp said...

When I get home I'll have to see what my new book smells like. Definitely makes me curious.

Stephanie said...

The Pilot's Wife smells like the beginning of a new school year, love it! And it's a great book, if you haven't read it, you should!

Andrea said...

I read it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it! Any other suggestions?

Post a Comment