Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 42 - September 25, 2009

A Classic Cookie with a Fall Twist!

Fall is just around the corner. Actually, according to my calendar, it began Tuesday without me even realizing it. I love fall! Brilliantly coloured trees lining the streets. Cool, crisp air against your skin. Pumpkins and baskets of gourds on every doorstep. The crunch of dried leaves under foot. The scent of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and squash fill the kitchen. How can you not love it?

I am sad when I think of spending fall in L.A. Palm trees remain green. Leaves continue to cling to their branches. It just isn’t the same outside. However, I am determined to make our tiny apartment feel like fall for the next few weeks.

I attempted a new fall recipe this past weekend; Pumpkin Raisin Oatmeal Cookies! Don’t they sound delicious? The original recipe actually called for dried cranberries but since I didn’t have any on hand, I substituted raisins and they turned out fabulously! The cookies are very soft, moist, and chewy with a hint of pumpkin. Trust me; you won’t be disappointed! They are definitely going on my list of recipes to make each year. I hope you enjoy them as much as Greg’s co-workers and I did!

Pumpkin Cranberry/Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients

• 1 cup Butter, softened
• 1 cup Granulated Sugar
• 1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
• 2 whole Eggs
• 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
• ¼ cup Pumpkin
• 2 cups Flour
• 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
• 1 teaspoon Salt
• 1-½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
• 2 cups Quick Cooking Oats
• 1 cup Dried Cranberries or Raisins

Preparation Instructions

First, grab 1 cup of butter, and stick it in the microwave for about 20 seconds to soften.


In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.


Beat in the eggs one at a time.



Slowly beat in the vanilla and pumpkin.



In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.


Beat the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture, half at a time.


Pour in the oats, and then stir them in.



Finally, mix in the cranberries or raisins.


Then, and this is important, cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.


When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease them). Roll the dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.


Sprinkle granulated sugar over the tops of the cookies, and then gently flatten each cookie with a fork.


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 to 3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yum, I can't wait to try making these!

AJAB said...

Yummy! Great pics. On my way out to get the ingredients right now.

Post a Comment