Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 52 - October 5, 2009

Fear

The Bible verses I post every Sunday are not accidental. They are chosen specifically to help me through the day or the coming week. You can learn a lot about where I am in my life and what is on my mind by reading those verses.

Yesterday, I posted a verse from Isaiah. Do not fear, for I am with you. I have been clinging to that verse since Saturday night. For some of you, this is going to sound silly and your first response is going to be “Buck up and get over it.” Others may be able to relate completely to my fears.

It all started when I was in elementary school. My sister and I were thrilled when our parents gave in and bought us gerbils. Back then, I thought the little rodents were the cutest things. We would watch them for hours playing on their wheel and running through the network of tubes we had set up. We would make mazes out of Lego and time how quickly each gerbil could make it through our complicated design. Many times, the walls weren’t high enough and they would cheat their way to the food but we still had a blast playing with our furry friends, Snowball (named for his fluffy white coat) and Pinky (named for his (creepy) pink eyes).

One day after dinner, my sister and I were sitting downstairs on her bed each holding one of our precious babies (I cringe now as I write that). We were petting them and they were running through our hands and up our arms when, all of the sudden, Snowball turned on me. He bit the flesh of my index finger and I screamed! I shook my hand vigorously, trying to get him to let go, but he held on for dear life. Finally, he lost his grip, flew into the wood paneled wall, and scurried under the bed.

From that moment on, I have been completely terrified of rodents of any kind. When I say terrified, I mean it. Seeing a picture of a mouse projected onto a large screen, some years ago, left me trembling and crying in a classroom of 200+ university students. I’m not joking. This phobia is severe, so when I woke up some time Saturday night to find my husband trapping mice into a corner in our apartment, I flipped. I am so thankful I married a man that can take care of rodent business. We have had an agreement for years now that he will take care of mice and rats and I will take care of creepy, crawly things. He doesn’t have a real fear of bugs but just prefers that I squish and flush them.

So anyway, Greg wasn’t able to trap the mice for long before they found a hole in the wall and escaped again. Greg stuffed an old washcloth into the hole and told me to get some sleep. Ya, right! How was I supposed to sleep knowing mice could be crawling into bed with me. It was a rough night, to say the least. Greg kept telling me there was nothing to be afraid of. They were so small and he even went as far as saying they were cute. Are you kidding me? Mice are disgusting. You cannot tell someone with an intense phobia to just stop being scared. That doesn’t make the fear go away. Just like telling an alcoholic to stop drinking, doesn’t make them want alcohol any less.

Sunday morning finally came and the man at the front desk of our complex was nice enough to put us up in a fully furnished apartment while our mouse problem is being taken care of. We are hoping to have a rodent free apartment by tonight! No more turds on the counter. No more mice scurrying through the holes in the wall. No more waking up to see my husband trying to trap mice with empty cookie dough containers. No more sleepless nights worrying about who’s in my kitchen cupboards.

There was no way I was taking a picture of the mice for this post so instead I will post a picture of someone who can always put a smile on my face. Just thinking of this little man turns my fear into immense joy!

3 comments:

Javier said...

I truly enjoy reading your posts. You are a very good writer. Although I am a Biologist I will not put any photo of them in my blog....yet haha. So, You are invited to visit it and to leave a comment if you want to.
My blog is about animal news (in spanish and english).
Here´s the link: www.bio-adictos.blogspot.com
A hug
PS: I´ve added you to my blog list

Melissa said...

Andrea- I FEEL your mouse phobia pains. I have a SEVERE case too. Its TERRIBLE. I have nightmares and ridiculous thoughts about them pretty much every day. We had mice in our first apartment and purchased our first home 3 days later. Coincidence? Perhaps. Rash emotional decision? Definitely.

Andrea said...

Rash emotional decision! But I am not saying that to say I disagree. Fear is real, no matter what causes it!

Andrea, I have really enjoyed reading your blog everyday!

Post a Comment