Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 56 - October 9, 2009

Time for another must-try fall recipe! Pumpkin Turkey Chili! It is absolutely fabulous! My husband can’t get enough of it. Yesterday, he tells me, “This chili is to die for. Seriously, amazing!” And then this morning, as he’s walking out the door to go to work, he turns around and says, “Don’t eat my chili while I’m gone.” The guy just can’t stop talking about it.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine but I have also seen it on allrecipes.com. I modified the recipe slightly to add even more flavour. I threw in a can of black beans and some frozen corn, which I always add to my regular chili. I only had 1 cup of pumpkin left after all the baking I’ve been doing so I topped it off with pureed butternut squash. The finished product was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. It is a wonderful twist on my usual turkey chili and another fall favourite in this house. Give it a try and let me know what ingredients you add to make it your own!

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 cups pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 dash salt
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream


DIRECTIONS

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in tomatoes and pumpkin. Season with chili powder, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve topped with Cheddar cheese and sour cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment