Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 63 - October 16, 2009

Do you ever get emails asking for prayers for friends or family members? Do you ever read blogs that invite you to pray for a family in need? And do you except these invitations? Many of us, when asked to pray, say, “Yes, I’ll pray” but then don’t know what to pray for. Do you find yourself struggling for the right words to give voice to their needs?

Have you ever wondered if you don’t word your prayer correctly or remember to include all the day’s prayer requests, whether the message will get through to God? As a child, I remember saying my prayers before bed and making sure to thank God for every family member by name. I would pray that God watch over each of my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents individually so that God wouldn’t forget about any of them. I feared that if I left someone out and something terrible should happen to him or her, it would be because of me. I felt a lot of weight on my young shoulders but that weight was lifted when I heard this verse. “Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord” (Psalm 139:4). This verse has helped me to know that God knows what is on my tongue and in my heart before I utter even one word of prayer. I have come to realize that God doesn’t need me to explain to Him how to take care of things down here. So, when I have difficulty finding the words to pray, I am reminded of this and I trust that His plan for our lives is far greater than anything we could imagine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment