Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 64 - October 17, 2009

Happy Sweetest Day!

I have been waiting for this day since I flipped our calendar on October 1st. According to our American calendar, today is the Sweetest Day of the year.

Being Canadian, I have never heard of the Sweetest Day. I did a quick Google search and found that today is a day to spread love and cheer. This day is celebrated mostly in the Midwestern United States but I really think I should bring the day back to Canada when I leave. Some think of today as a “Hallmark holiday” similar to Valentine’s Day. Personally, I think that there should be more than just a few days a year that we spread love to those around us.

All throughout high school, I had a verse taped to my mirror where I would see it every morning. It was a quote from Mother Theresa that read,

Spread love everywhere you go:
first of all in your own house.
Give love to your children,
to your wife or husband,
to a next door neighbor . . .
Let no one ever come to you
without leaving better and happier.
Be the living expression of God's kindness;
kindness in your face,
kindness in your eyes,
kindness in your smile,
kindness in your warm greeting.

I find myself reflecting on this verse often. I made a promise to myself the day I first read it, many years ago, that I would try to live my life out in this way; spreading love and happiness to everyone I come in contact with. This is not an easy task and I don’t claim to speak or act with kindness all the time…just ask my husband, but I do try. Right, honey?

Anyway, back to this Sweetest Day. What better way to celebrate today than with a sweet recipe! Sweet Marie Bars are one of our family’s favourite desserts. Every time I make or enjoy these, I think of my sweet Grandmother, Anne Marie. This is such a quick and easy recipe that requires no baking. And they are so delicious! My husband took them into work the other week and I’ve been handing out the recipe ever since! Enjoy!!

Sweet Marie Bars

Bars:

4 cups Rice Krispies

2 Tbsp melted butter

1 cup peanuts

Mix together in a large bowl.

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup corn syrup

1 cup peanut butter

(I am a Kraft peanut butter gal, born and raised, but I can't find it for the life of me here in the USA so I had to settle for Jif...sigh)

Mix together in a separate microwavable bowl and melt in microwave for 1-2 minutes.

Add to first bowl.

Press into a 9x13 inch pan.

(I halved the recipe and used a 8x8 inch pan.)

Topping:

1½ cups chocolate chips

1½ Tbsp butter

Melt in microwave on medium for 1 minute.

Stir in 1½ tbsp. hot water

Spread/pour over bars.

Refrigerate until chocolate has solidified.

Cut, serve, and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment