Monday, November 9, 2009

Day 87 - November 9, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner "Re-packaged"

This past weekend, we celebrated a very late Canadian Thanksgiving with our families. While my mother-in-law cooked a 30 lb bird along with all the fixings, I tried my hand at my first ever homemade pumpkin pie. The meal was a great success, and of course, there were loads of leftovers. We have been eating turkey leftovers every meal since and I must say, I'm getting a little sick of the same old plate of turkey. This got me thinking about how I could "re-purpose" the turkey dinner in a creative way. I remembered my mother-in-law saying she had a package of phyllo pastry that she had no clue what to do with and was ready to throw out. So, off I marched to the kitchen to create "Leftover Turkey & Fixin' Phyllo Packets."

They are quite simple to make if you don't count the whole phyllo dough layering. (Admission: I have never actually used phyllo pastry before so who knows if I did it correctly. I figured, how wrong can you go with dough?)

Mix together the turkey and fixin's (ie. stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, gravy) in a large bowl.

Cut the stack of phyllo dough in half both directions, creating four stacks of rectangles. Start by brushing one rectangle with melted butter. Then cover the sheet with another and repeat this process with two additional sheets (or as many as you'd like...remember, I really have no clue what I'm doing!). Place a large scoop of the leftover mixture to the center and fold over edges to seal in a rectangle shape. Repeat this process until you have used up all of your leftover mixture.

Place the packets on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-17 minutes, or until flaky and golden brown.

Serve with cranberry sauce and enjoy a twist on a traditional turkey dinner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment