Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 98 - November 20, 2009

You an always tell how well loved a recipe is by the condition of a recipe card. The card is yellowed, the corners curl under, the edges are wrinkled, and there are traces of the ingredients here, there, and everywhere. This recipe card has been in our family for decades and as you can see, it has been very well loved.

Childhood memories came flooding back as I prepared the muffin batter this morning. As a child, I remember waking up to the sound and smell of my parents baking muffins in the kitchen on Saturday mornings. I’d rush down the stairs to see what kind of muffins were for breakfast that weekend. And each time I did this, I secretly hoped that they would be Bran Chocolate Chip! I’m not sure if it was the muffin I loved so much or the fact that I was allowed to have chocolate for breakfast. What a treat! Enjoy one of our family favourites!


Bran Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 egg

1 ¾ cups milk

1 ½ cups Nabisco 100% Bran® Cereal

½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar

cup margarine or butter, melted

1 tbsp. vinegar

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tbsp. baking powder

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. salt


BEAT egg in bowl with a fork. Blend in milk, cereal, sugar, margarine and vinegar; mix well.

COMBINE remaining ingredients, including chocolate chips in large bowl.

STIR cereal mixture into dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.

SPOON batter into greased muffin cups, generously filling each to the top.

BAKE at 400ºF (200ºC) for about 20 minutes or until done.

COOL. Store in airtight container.

MAKES 12 large muffins.

1 comments:

djpaetkau said...

Mmmm... Seeing these muffins, I know I've got all the other ingredients, but I guess I'm going to have to get some bran to make them, as they look as delicious as ever!

Post a Comment