Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 167 - January 28, 2010

Improvising

For the last year, I have found myself improvising. You see, over a year ago, we packed up only the basic essentials and moved our lives from our spacious 3 bedroom home in Canada to a tiny studio apartment in California. We left our beautiful new dishes and plush bath towels behind and traded them in for our parent's hand-me downs. Some days I really miss my beautiful white dishes that make every meal look straight out of a magazine and what I wouldn't give to have my KitchenAid mixer on the counter, but hey, it has taught me to improvise.

An empty jam or pasta sauce jar works just as well as the beautiful vases from our wedding reception and when rolling out dough, a tall glass does the same job as a marble rolling pin. If you're without a drain tray or drying rack or whatever the heck you call them (which we currently are), use the racks in your dishwasher. You're probably thinking, why not just use the dishwasher instead of washing the dishes by hand? Well, I was raised in a family that owned a dishwasher, but only used it about 5 times a year. That's no joke, people! "Why use the dishwasher when you have 6 sets of perfectly capable dish-washing hands under one roof?" was my parents' motto. And so, I wash dishes by hand and let them drip dry in the dishwasher...that is until I pick up some dishwasher detergent!

0 comments:

Post a Comment