Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 174 - February 4, 2010

Meet Blayne.


I like to think of Blayne as my new blog friend, although she doesn’t know that yet. You see, Blayne and I have never met, nor have we spoken on the phone. We’re about as close as two people can be who have only communicated through a few emails and blog comments. I know that doesn’t sound like much of a friendship, but blogs give you a glimpse into other people’s lives and make you feel like you’re a part of their story.

Blayne is an architectural photographer and blogger for This Photographer’s Life. I am inspired by her photos in each and every post and often feel the overwhelming desire to have my house torn down and rebuilt to look just like the extraordinary mansions she features on her blog.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that Blayne had added my blog to her side bar under the heading “Inspirations.” I was in shock when I saw this because I think of my blog as anything but inspirational. After all, she is the one who inspires me to be a better photographer. I am completely honored to sit up there with some really talented people and incredible blogs!


Blayne just recently opened her own Etsy store, which features her beautiful fine art photography. Just last week, I received a signed print from her store and I am in love!

Autumn Dance – Blayne Beacham

Isn’t she pretty? My photo definitely doesn’t do it justice. I am still on the look out for the perfect frame to hold this beautiful piece of art. I love how soft the colours are and can’t wait to hang it in my little girl’s nursery some day. Thank you, Blayne!

Now on to my dilemma. Earlier this week, I headed over to the local Goodwill in search of an end table/night stand to replace the oversized Tupperware bins beside our bed. I was disappointed to find that the store I visited didn’t carry furniture but was pleasantly surprised to find a large mirror for only $9.99! I got it home and now I’m stumped. Initially, I figured I would paint the frame and lean it up on top of the fireplace mantle. The fireplace could really use some height and I though this would be the perfect solution.


My husband, on the other hand, thinks that I would loose all the details in the frame if I were to paint it, so he suggests I leave it as is. (Not sure whether I care about the frame's detail.) The mirror’s frame is in brown tones and the fireplace, TV, and TV stand are all black so I think it kind of looks out of place.


The other option would be to hang it on this wall near the entrance of our apartment. I think that if it was hung here I could leave it as is since our dining room set and comforter are both chocolate brown.


I could really use your help. I’ll make it easy for you.

What would you do?

a) Leave the mirror as is above the fireplace.
b) Leave the mirror as is and hang near the entrance.
c) Paint the frame white/black/other and hang above the fireplace.
d) Donate it back to Goodwill! (Before you answer d), remember this post.)

If you’ve never commented on my blog or any blog before, now’s your chance. Just click on the word “comments” below this post (beside the little pencil). Give me your opinion in the white box, hit “post comment,” and you’re done! Simple, isn’t it? Can’t wait to hear from you!

6 comments:

This Photographer's Life said...

Thank you! I feel really close to you as well. it is so fun to see what you see every day. I know it sounds strange, but I really hope your dad comes and visits my blog... your story was so moving. Did I miss the post about why you can't work here? I love how the photo looks! It seems even prettier in your photo than it is in real life :) I am going to leave another comment about the mirror. Sometimes if my comments get too long they won't publish... be right back. Thanks again!

This Photographer's Life said...

I would "whitewash" the mirror... Meaning I would get white paint and add water to it. Then paint it lightly over the mirror's frame. Before it is dry, I would use a rag to wipe the mirror, which would bring back some of the details your husband loves. You know what though, I am not the expert. I am going to go get my friend Claire from "High Gloss Blue" to come over and tell you what to do. She just did an amazing job on refinishing a piece of furniture... plus she is a very talented interior designer and knows much better than me. I'll send her over :)

Thank you again!

Claire Watkins, ASID allied said...

Hi Andrea,
I was so flattered when Blayne sent me an email and asked me to check out your mirror, nice score! I would leave it above the mantle and HANG it horizontally...maybe use a pic hanger and ribbon. Might seem like you need height above the your mantle, but your space is a little narrow right there and adding height will just emphasize it. I would spray paint that frame a solid color, as a solid color will actually allow the form to come through without distraction from the shininess of the metal. You will have a much cleaner look. Pop a few vases or a variety of {goodwill} candle sticks on either side and you are in business. Hope that helps and I am so glad to find out about your blog!

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for your commments Blayne & Claire!
Claire, it is wonderful to meet you. So glad Blayne sent you over. What solid color would you suggest? White?
Thanks again for your input!

Claire Watkins, ASID allied said...

I would suggest just pulling from colors you already have in the room. Pick your favorite and voila!

George said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment