Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 214 - March 16, 2010


I expect to be woken up by the alarm clock just before 8am. I expect to hear birds chirping in the tree outside our bedroom window. I expect to see sunshine pour into the room, but what I never expected was to be woken up by the rumblings of a 4.4 magnitude earthquake at 4:04 this morning.

I've experienced over half a dozen earthquakes in the last year. It's sort of expected when you live in L.A. But this was the first time it happened in the middle of the night which made it even more frightening. I was completely disoriented and when I opened my eyes to see the room shaking, I froze. Normally, I'll run to the nearest doorway and stand there praying the ceiling won't collapse on top of me, but my reaction time is not quite as quick at 4am.

As I lay in bed, I thought of the recent earthquakes that have made headlines around the world. All I could do was thank God for His protection over us.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." - Psalm 46:1-3

1 comments:

Post a Comment