Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 225 - March 27, 2010

For the last two weeks or so, we've been experiencing a major heat wave in Southern California or maybe this is what it's always like in March in the valley. Either way, it's HOT!! It seems ridiculous to be turning on the air conditioner in March so we're finding other ways to stay cool.

Today, we cooled off with a treat I've been itching to make since I first saw it here last July. Homemade Strawberry Sorbet!! Doesn't that just sound delicious?! And I made it without an ice cream maker! Yes, it can be done. It may take a while longer but it's so worth it! Absolutely scrumptious!!

Strawberry Sorbet


Ingredients
  • 1 quart chopped strawberries
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp lime zest
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup

First, mix the water and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.


Once boiling, reduce heat and allow the sugar to dissolve completely.


Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for a bit.

Chop up the strawberries, just to make it easier on your food processor or blender.


Zest 2 tsp of fresh lime peel. Squeeze the lime to get 2 Tbsp juice.


Puree the strawberries, lime juice, and lime zest in your food processor or blender. (I left a few small chunks of strawberries because I like it that way!)



Combine the sugar mixture, strawberry puree, corn syrup, and salt.


If you have an ice cream maker, pour the completed mixture into the maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

To freeze the sorbet without an ice cream maker, pour the strawberry mixture into a shallow plastic container or glass dish.


Place dish in the freezer. Wait 20 minutes or until the base and sides begin to freeze. Then take a fork and scrape/mix up the frozen bits. Return the container to the freezer for another 20 minutes and repeat until sorbet reaches the desired consistency. (I left it for about 3 hours before serving.) Enjoy right away or place in another container with a lid and keep in the freezer until ready to consume.


Enjoy!!


2 comments:

David said...

Mmm, that does sound, and look, delicious! Makes me wish I had a blender... and warm weather.

Michelle Mekos said...

I love this recipe! My daughter loves your photography too! I wish I could save this page!

Post a Comment