Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 231 - April 2, 2010

Good Friday

From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” – which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” - Matthew 27:45-46

It is this verse that brings me to tears every Good Friday, but this year, I think about this verse in a way I never considered in years past. This year, I am reminded of something I heard back in January. I was listening to a talk given by William Paul Young (author of The Shack). He was talking about Jesus’ relationship with God and how God was with Jesus every step he took on earth. He said, “(Jesus) has never known a time in his existence that he did not sense the presence of the Father.” While Jesus was human, he felt God’s presence every moment of every day. That is not something we, as human beings, can say. We often find ourselves crying out, “Where are you, God? I can’t feel you. I’m lost and I need you, Lord. Where are you?” Mr. Young reminded me that on Good Friday, up there on the cross, Jesus experienced what we often do when he cried, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” In that moment, Jesus felt alone and abandoned. And then he made the greatest statement of trust, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” Jesus would never have said that if he truly felt God had abandoned him. God didn’t abandon his son on the cross and he doesn’t abandon us. “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).

Jesus died on the cross that day, but that is not the last chapter. The story is not finished. Death doesn’t have the last word; God does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment