Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 246 - April 17, 2010

There are days when it feels like my husband and I are living on different planets. Sure, we share a tiny apartment, but it often feels like we are worlds apart. He wakes up with the alarm every weekday morning and bikes into work for the day while I take my time moving from the bed to the couch where I spend most of my day reading, writing, talking with family, and catching up on my favorite TV shows. Before the sun sets, my husband walks through the door, while I’m finishing up dinner, gives me a kiss and sets up his laptop and drawing board for the night. We eat dinner together and talk about our days, which usually consists of him telling me about his latest encounter with some famous Disney employee and me telling him about my latest giveaway winnings or what our nephew’s did today. The remainder of the evening is spent more like roommates than a married couple. He retreats to his corner of the room to draw while I plant myself in front of TV (yet again) and watch whatever reality show is on that night. You’d think that after spending a long day apart, we’d connect for more than 15 minutes over dinner.

This weekend, it seems like we’re on the same page again and it has been so refreshing. It was date night last night and we saw a wonderful show, about 3 married couples, at a little theatre nearby. We laughed all night and saw so many similarities between the actor’s relationships and our marriage that made us reevaluate the way we act around each other and speak to one another when we are together.

This morning, we went for a long hike through a breath-taking canyon that lead to a picturesque waterfall. It was a wonderful opportunity for us to talk and help each other over the rocks and streams we encountered. It was so nice to spend quality time together since our weekday evenings in front of the TV can hardly be counted as quality time. I assume we are not alone in this; that other marriages also need reminders to speak kindly to one another and do more than just exist in the same space. I am so glad we were served our reminder at the beginning of the weekend so that we have a whole 2 days to enjoy each other’s company.



0 comments:

Post a Comment