Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 265 - May 6, 2010

My husband and I have been married less than 2 years and in that short time, we’ve lived in 7 different houses or apartments. The day we said our vows, I could not have imagined what the following 2 years would hold. In the days leading up to our wedding, I couldn’t wait to move into the house we had bought together just 6 months prior. We had worked very hard during those 6 months to make our new house feel like a home. We re-painted every single wall in the house, scrubbed the floors, kitchen cabinets, countertops, and bathrooms until they shone, and bought our first pieces of furniture to fill the empty rooms. Only days after hanging the first photographs on the walls, we learned that we would be moving to L.A. 4 weeks later. Just when our house started to smell and feel like a home, we had to leave it in someone else’s hands.

I remember walking into our house for the first time since new tenants had moved in. It was filthy and reeked of cigarette smoke. Although the majority of our furniture was still there, the house didn’t smell or feel anything like the home Greg and I had created. I felt sick to my stomach being in my own home and questioned whether or not I could ever live there again. All the good memories of our short months there disappeared and were replaced by images of broken glass and stained furniture.



When we moved into our current home in January, the placed smelled of carpet cleaner and fresh paint. The apartment felt clean, but empty (probably because it was) and as we lay the air mattress out in the middle of the floor that first night, I wondered if our 7th house would ever smell and feel like home. As the wife of a man whose job is sometimes unpredictable and could lead us to house #8 in September, I’ve realized that it’s my “job” to make each new house feel like home. And so, each time we move, I put up pictures of our family to make use feel closer to the ones we love and cook dinners and bake muffins to make the space smell of the home we shared back in Canada. To all the places we have yet to live, just you wait ‘til I get my hands on you and make you our beautiful home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment