Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 293 - June 3, 2010

It has been nearly two years since we said “I do” so naturally, many people are surprised to see my maiden name on everything from my driver’s license and passport to my email address and blog entries. Just the other day I was in my new favourite store purchasing a gorgeous dress I had fallen in love with at first sight to wear, ironically, to the wedding of a man I had also fallen in (puppy) love with at first sight back in high school. Anyway, I was paying for the dress and had accidently handed the cashier one of my husband’s credit cards. She asked to see my ID and when I showed her, she looked at me, completely shocked. You didn’t take your husband’s last name?” she asked with disgust. I immediately became defensive and promptly explained that I had every intention of taking my husband’s name but that I was from Canada and there hadn’t been time to change all of my ID over before we moved to the U.S. last year. Luckily, she let it go and started rambling on about how everyone in Canada must love the TV show Degrassi and how she watches it religiously.

As I walked out of the store, I thought to myself, what is so wrong with a woman keeping her last name? It doesn’t mean she loves her husband any less. It doesn’t mean she despises her in-laws. To keep her last name or take her husband’s name is a choice every married woman makes. The decision is hers and no one, not even a young, unwed cashier, should make her feel bad for whatever decision she makes.

That said, I am excited to share my husband’s last name and to pass it on to our children one day. My married name may not be official on paper yet, but thanks to Lisa Leonard, I am proud to now wear my husband’s initial around my neck.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE her stuff! I've got one too with a good handful more on my wish list!

Dawn said...

Beautiful. I agree with you about the whole name thing. I took my husband's name but some of my closest friend's have kept their maiden names. It's a personal decision and you're right that no one (especially the cashier) does pass judgement on!

Dawn

Stephanie said...

You finally got it, hooray!! Beautiful, can't wait to order more of her amazing stuff!

Moon said...

Don't worry, in Europe, we don't even take our husbands names!

Post a Comment