Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 455 - November 12, 2010

The following is a post I wrote back in September after the doctor confirmed we were pregnant.

I never thought I’d be so excited to pee in a plastic specimen cup, but I was giddy. Greg and I anxiously waited for the doctor to come in. She entered the room and the first thing out of her mouth was, “So, the test came back positive.” I squealed with delight and looked over at Greg. He was grinning ear to ear and the look of sheer joy on his face made my heart leap. The doctor looked at us and the next thing she said was, “So, how do you want to proceed? (pause) Which hospital do you want to deliver at?” Excuse me? I thought. How do I want to proceed? Are you questioning whether or not we even want to keep this baby? And who are you to assume I want to deliver in a hospital? Behind all the joy on my face, I was seething and wanted to get up and yell, “This baby is very much wanted and loved. Conceiving this beautiful life was very much a part of our plan, not to mention God’s plan, not that it’s any of your business. We do not plan on delivering in a hospital and after the way we’ve been treated today, I certainly don’t want you, or any other doctor for that matter, delivering my child.” This is what I was thinking, but of course, I said, “We’re actually looking into having a home birth with a licensed midwife.” (Can you tell the hormones had kicked in already?)

This was not the way I had imagined this very special appointment. What happened to “Congratulations, you’re pregnant!” or “You’re having a baby!” or “Have you thought about what kind of birth you would like to have?” I want a do over.

When I tell our baby one day about the day we found out we were pregnant, this is not the day I will remember. I will remember a
week earlier when I took two home pregnancy tests. I will remember calling Greg over, when the timer went off, asking him to read the tests with me. I will remember seeing a second faint pink line on the first test and a much deeper line on the second. I will remember Greg saying, “I think that means we’re pregnant” and me squealing, “We’re pregnant!” as I leapt into his arms. I will remember giving thanks to God for this new little life inside of me. I will remember that my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. I will remember that in a split second my heart exploded with love for our new family. This is what I will remember.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

This post just made me so teary! I am beyond excited, thrilled, OVERJOYED that you two are in just a few months going to be holding your own sweet little baby!
It's unfortunate that a doctor reacts that way now when announcing that your pregnant but that baby is so blessed to have you both as his/her parents! Btw that picture is a great keepsake to show your baby one day, I love it!!
EEEekk! I'm so excited to be an Aunt!!! :D

Elly said...

I am soooo happy this is out in the open now!! I've been boiling over with excitement for you guys, and I love the picture of your baby bump. Congratulations (again!)!!!!!

Melissa said...

Adorable photo!

Kaitlyn said...

huge congrats to you both! You will be an amazing mother andrea! blessings to you on this journey!

Post a Comment