Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 458 - November 15, 2010

You just never know who you're going to see (or where you're going to see them) in this town. Like the time we ran into Kate Beckinsale at our favourite Italian restaurant. Or how about last weekend when we saw Patti Stanger at a mall in Santa Monica. Well, last night at Costco, of all places, we had our most recent celebrity encounter.

We were on our way home from the first ever public screening of the movie, The Smurfs, and decided to stop in at Costco to grab a few essentials like milk and cereal. Let me pause here and just acknowledge that I am fully aware of how blessed we are to have such amazing opportunities with my husband's job to attend private screenings and tour big-time Hollywood studios. I am still in awe of every opportunity that comes our way and don't take any of them for granted. We have been blessed.

Anyway, back to Costco. You know how they often bring in outside companies to come and demo their products for Costco customers? Like the guy who tries to sell you the 50 piece knife set you don't need or the guy demoing the ShamWow? Well, we were walking down one of the main aisles when a blender demo caught my eye. I don't need a blender, but it's hard to turn away when a man on a microphone is telling you how life changing his product is. Plus, a fresh fruit smoothie sample doesn't hurt. Anyway, I looked over and immediately started tugging at my husband's arm to get him to stop.

Me: "Do you know who that is? You know. He's in movies."

Hubby:
"He kind of looks familiar."

Me:
"I have no idea what his name is. He never plays a lead role. He always plays like the funny sidekick or best friend or something. You know. One of those actors."

Hubby: "I think I know who you mean, but that's not him."

Me: "You know. He was in some comedy and maybe he played some creepy guy in a prison movie at one point."

Hubby: "Okay, I got a good look. Show me who you think it is online when we get home."

Me: "I know it's him. Either that or he has an identical twin brother."

I stared at the blender guy for another minute. Then I began scanning the area for hidden cameras. Maybe he'll be on Ellen, I thought. She's always doing those "celebrities-doing-real-jobs" shows.

Later, my husband says to me. "I know who you mean. That guy from the movie about a wholesale warehouse with Jessica Simpson. You just think it's him because he was in a movie about Costco."

The movie he was referring to is Employee of the Month which he's probably embarrassed to admit he even knows exists. Anyway, we found out later that I'm not crazy. The Costco blender guy really was Sean Whalen. When asked why he was working a blender demo, when he's been in movies like Twister and MIB, he responded that he liked to keep busy and it was either this or his wife works. Awwww! How sweet! Between acting jobs he works as the blender guy so his wife doesn't have to. It's wonderful to see that that there are still true gentlemen in Hollywood.

(Once again, sorry, no picture. We weren't allowed cameras in The Smurfs screening so I walked into Costco empty handed. Maybe next time.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment