Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 461 - November 18, 2010

When I first found out I was pregnant, back in September, I immediately began researching the best foods to eat during pregnancy and stocked our kitchen full of spinach, avocado, broccoli, carrots, mangoes, and nuts. I remember saying to my husband in those early weeks that I was determined to feed my baby better than I feed myself. It's not that I ate poorly before pregnancy. I would say that we eat a pretty healthy and well-balanced diet, but also treat ourselves to things like ice cream and freshly made chocolate chip cookies. My desire to feed this baby well has made me much more aware of the servings of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and protein I consume in a day. I no longer consider a handful of baby carrots at lunch a sufficient vegetable intake until dinner. Aside from a week or two of intense dill pickle chip cravings (I'm still very disappointed these delicious potato chips haven't caught on in America), I have managed to stay on track and find myself reaching for a clementine and cottage cheese or a couple small turkey meatballs for a mid-afternoon snack instead of going for the bowl of leftover Halloween candy. If baby wants protein, then I'm going to eat it!

In my effort to get more whole grains in our diet, I have just recently made the complete switch to whole grain brown rice. I have always liked it and I'm happy hubby has been willing to give it a try. One thing I've learned is that brown rice is one of those foods that tastes even better the next day. We made the switch to mainly whole grain pasta a few years ago and I really can't taste a difference any more. I have also switched from enriched-white flour to whole wheat flour in any baking I do. Just yesterday, I substituted whole wheat flour into my regular banana muffin recipe and have to say the muffins are quite delicious. Of course, there is a slight change in flavour, but nothing too significant. I don't miss the white flour.


These are just a few of the simple ways we're getting more vitamins, iron, protein, and fiber in our diets. I hope that we're able to keep up this new way of eating even after the baby is born. I sure don't want our children thinking pizza only comes from a box and vegetables are always frozen.

I would love to hear other ways we can make simple changes to our diet. Any recipes you would like to share with me? Pretty please.

3 comments:

~Dawn~ said...

I love the picure of your tiny baby bump on your header. :)

Elly said...

You are putting everyone else to shame! But good for you--baby sounds well fed.

K∂riиє* Smith. said...

Hi, I’m passing by and following from ” Friday Follow”.
When you get a chance, please check out my blog and follow me back?
http://www.kaentrenos.net/2010/11/family-in-stripe-jumper-by-rosinha.html
Cheers!

Post a Comment