Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 462 - November 19, 2010

I've been taking my daily prenatal vitamin for months now and didn't think much about the brand until I went in for my latest appointment with our midwife. She quickly pointed out that the prenatal vitamins I had been taking contained artificial colour like Red 40, Yellow 6, and Blue 1. I was shocked that these ingredients would be found in a prenatal vitamin.

This week, I went in search of an all-natural, organic prenatal to replace my current brand. I was happy to find a store brand on sale and decided to switch over that night at dinner time. I took the vitamin, which actually went down a lot easy than I expected for the size of it, and proceeded to eat dinner with my hubby. Less than 10 minutes later, I began to feel very queasy. Within 30 seconds of this feeling, I was throwing up my dinner and that new vitamin. Once the vitamin was out of my system, I felt great again and continued with dinner. I should mention that this was the first time I had thrown up all pregnancy.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it a bad idea to switch prenatal vitamins part way through a pregnancy when you've had no problems on the other prenatal?

My hubby's theory is that the trace of artificial colour in my current brand is no worse for me or the baby than the artificial flavours and colours found in the Twizzlers I ate the other day. He's probably right. I just can't bring myself to take another one of those all-natural vitamins when it means I could lose the entire days nutrients in a matter of minutes. Thoughts?


4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Stick with the first one, it may not be ideal but much better to keep down all the healthy food you're eating!

Attila & Tamara said...

I'd say try it one more time. If it happens again, switch back for sure!

Jen said...

Not sure if it has to do with the brand, but I have heard that a lot of women have trouble with prenatal vitamins and nausea.

Jessie said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog!

I am your newest follower :)

Have a great weekend!!

Jessie
MomVantage.net

Post a Comment