Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 482 - December 9, 2010

It's hard to put into words the feeling you get when you hear your little baby's heartbeat for the very first time. But I'm getting ahead of myself; so let me back up a little bit.

We had our first appointment with our amazing midwives at the beginning of November. I was 13 weeks and 1 day pregnant at the time. My husband and I had been anticipating this appointment for weeks. We had read in pregnancy books and online baby sites that a baby's heartbeat is usually heard by 12 weeks so we were over the moon excited to hear our little one for the first time. I had asked our midwife if my husband could record the heartbeat with our little Flip video camera. She happily agreed and Greg began recording as she placed the Doppler on my belly. At the beginning of the video, Greg captured me smiling and laughing as the midwife spoke, but very quickly the expression on my face changed. Our midwife searched and searched, but no heartbeat was heard. As I look back on the video, I can clearly remember the moment I began praying. As the minutes went by, my prayers turned into begging. Please God, let me hear our baby's heartbeat. Please let our baby be okay. Please give us a sign that everything is alright. Please, Lord, please. My mind was racing with thoughts about what might be wrong. I let my mind go to places I never wanted it to. And the tears began to fall. Our midwife searched for over 5 minutes with no heartbeat to be heard. I was devastated; completely heartbroken and so worried about the health of our little babe. I cried on and off for the rest of the night.

I called my sister that night and told her what had happened. (Thank God for sisters!) She listened and reassured me that it was still very early in the pregnancy and that it's not uncommon for women not to hear the heartbeat at this time. She reminded me of how tiny our little baby's heart was and just because we didn't hear it, didn't mean the baby's heart wasn't beating strong. She reminded me to live in the joy of this special time and not to let my fears overtake me. We had no prior indications that anything was wrong, so we just needed to trust in God and His perfect timing. I won't lie. It took a few days to fully accept that God was in control and that whatever happened was part of His plan for our lives. It's definitely easier said than done.

Two days ago, we had our second midwives appointment. While we were excited about our appointment, Greg and I had both prepared ourselves that we may not hear our baby. We were meeting a new midwife and were hoping we'd connect with her as much as we had with the midwife at our last appointment. Just before beginning the exam portion of the appointment, our midwife said that she had seen in our file that we were Christians. "Do you know that you are only the second Christian couple I have seen walk in here in the last year?" My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it, but I guess that's L.A. for you. We talked a while about churches in the area and about how much we both love Advent and the whole Christmas season.

"So are you ready to hear your baby's heartbeat?" she asked. We told her about our disappointment during the last appointment. She looked up and thanked God that she could be a part of this once in a lifetime experience. She told us it was such a blessing to experience hearing a baby's first heartbeat with new parents. By this point, I truly believed that God had lead us to this very moment.

Once again, Greg got out the video camera and began recording. Within seconds of placing the Doppler on my belly, we heard the most incredible sound in the world. It took my breath away and tears of joy streamed down my cheeks. I thanked God over and over again for our little miracle. I was beaming the rest of the night and can't help but smile and thank God every time I watch that video over again (at least a dozen times a day). I am totally head over heels in love! God's timing is perfect!

4 comments:

Elly said...

Awww Andrea, I'm crying with you!! What a wonderful joyful moment for you both. I can't wait to experience it for myself.

Jeni said...

Congratulations!!! :o)

Following you via fun friday follow.

Smiles and love,
Jeni
www.simplystatedcreative.blogspot.com

The Pilot's Wife said...

Wonderful!

Happy to be following you the Fun Follow Friday Blog Hop on Simply Stacie's Blog!

Anna, The Pilot's Wife
Follow My Blog At:
http://www.pilotwife.blogspot.com
Enter Weekly Drawing for a Free Candle!
http://anna.scent-team.com/weeklydrawing/index.php

Stephanie said...

Crying here too, I cannot wait to see pictures of this sweet baby when you finally have your ultrasound. And it makes me cry with so much excitement to think about stepping off a plane and getting to see and hold this sweet niece or nephew for the first time...until we finally meet little one, I love you so much!

Post a Comment