Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 487 - December 14, 2010

I know I should be making Christmas cookies in the middle of December, but with Thanksgiving happening so late here in the U.S., I still have pumpkin to use up. (Aside: We did make sugar cookies the other week, but we only had Valentine's and Halloween cookie cutters so instead of Christmas trees and stockings, we had Gingerbread Ghosts and Holiday Hearts!) Anyway, back to the pumpkin puree. After making a double batch of our family's favourite Pumpkin Raisin Muffins, I still had about 2 cups of pumpkin leftover. I came across a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies last month and knew I had to give them a try. And let me tell you, these cookies do not disappoint! This delicious recipe may even replace our usual chocolate chip cookie recipe. The recipe suggests that you top the cookies with a cream cheese icing, but we think they're perfect without the frosting.

Now I should say that if you're looking for a real pumpkin taste, these cookies may not be for you. The pumpkin flavour is very subtle and your family may not even know it's in there, but they are soft and cakey and delicious! This is also a great recipe if you have children, family members or friends with food allergies since it contains no eggs or dairy products.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips




Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. In medium bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla. In separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool for a minute on cookie sheets before transferring to wire cooling racks.

Makes about 3 dozen small cookies.

(Recipe source: Made)




Happy Baking!

6 comments:

Bloggy Blog Designz said...

Those look so yum. I will have to try out this recipe. My recipe is a little different.
I am your newest follower from FMBT. I would love a follow back at my blog!

Jessica said...

Hey! No point in wasting the pumpkin right?!?

I'm blog hopping today and thought I would stop by your blog. Hope you will visit either or both of my blogs and say hello and follow (if you aren't already a follower).

Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE custom blog designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Have a VERY VERY blessed Tuesday!! :0)

Sabina Bint Benjamin said...

Wow, they look pretty amazing. I will definitely link back to you if I should decide to give them a try. Thanks so much for stopping by, admiring my work and giving my blog a follow, I'm now following you :)See ya next post!

TheChickenista said...

.•..¸.•*¨Hopping in from FMBT!  Im your newest follower¨¸.•..¸.•*¨  I hope you can hop over and visit soon!¸.•..¸.•*¨Reviews &Giveaways by TheChickenista
¸.•..¸.•*¨Off to the next great blog!¸.•..¸.•*¨

Happy Tuesday!
Peace, Love and Much Respect! (✿◠‿◠)

~Veronica

Mrs. Sanchez said...

Cookies are yummy no matter the season! I LOVE reading blogs of expectant mothers. It is so exciting.


I am now following you via Follow Me Tuesday.

Follow back at:

http://www.autismjot.blogspot.com

Show Me Mama said...

these cookies look so yummy :)I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

Post a Comment