Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 496 - December 23, 2010

So many of the medical appointments I've had this pregnancy have not gone the way I expected and our ultrasound was no different. We arrived at the hospital early and I sat uncomfortably, with a very full bladder, waiting to hear my name called. The hospital was quiet and the waiting gave me time to pray. As I thanked God for our sweet little babe and asked Him to be with us as we heard news about our baby's health, I heard beautiful music begin to play. I hadn't even noticed the little 6 piece orchestra setting up beside the waiting room. As I listened to them play Silent Night, I knew that God was with us.

The technician called my name and Greg and I rose to follow. She told us that Greg was not allowed back during the ultrasound and my heart dropped. I had forgotten that my sister told me this would happen and began begging the technician to let Greg be with me. I didn't want him to miss out on the experience of seeing our child. She told me she may be able to call him in at the very end to see a picture, but that they don't normally allow that. I told her how much that would mean to us and thanked her for considering it.

The ultrasound began and the technician quietly began taking pictures and measuring the baby's organs. She chuckled a few times as she moved the ultrasound wand back and forth from one side of my belly to the other. It couldn't be twins, I thought. She later told me our baby was very active and kept moving from one side to the other trying to escape the wand. As she finished up, she told me our baby was healthy and I breathed a sigh of relief. Praise God for a healthy baby! I asked her if she knew the gender and she turned the screen so I could take a look myself. She pointed out the legs and told me they were wide open. I don't see anything, she said, and at this point, you would definitely see something. In my opinion, it's a girl! We had a very clear view and what I saw looked to me like girl parts. (So much for the accuracy of that Intelligender Gender Prediction Test.) She told me she'd go get Greg and I began dreaming about our little girl. We checked the goods again when Greg arrived and all three of us agreed our little itty bitty is a girl! Greg and I were ecstatic to hear the news of our healthy baby girl! From the moment we found out we were expecting, we (along with most of our family) thought our little babe was a girl and if I hadn't taken that silly gender prediction test, I never would have thought otherwise. It's no secret that I've always wanted a daughter, although I knew I would be just as blessed to have all sons. We were mesmerized as we watched our little girl cross her legs, hiccup, and open her big beautiful eyes. We are so blessed and so head over heels in love!

Mommy and Daddy cannot wait to meet you, sweet girl!

5 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats on a little girl, they are so fun!! That makes me sad that your hubby couldn't come back until the end, but I'm glad they let him!

Queen Mom said...

Congrats!

Kirsten said...

Seriously, where is your doctors office? I have never heard of that from any of the dozens and dozens of pregnant women in the LA area that I know, along with all the other weird things you've posted about. Husbands are always allowed in for the whole ultrasound and it's even encouraged. I'm really happy she's healthy and that Greg got to see the end anyway.
Merry Christmas!

Andrea said...

We went to the imaging department in St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica. It seems like I'm having one crazy experience after the other. Just my luck, I guess.

Melissa said...

CONGRATS!!! Your little girly is already so loved and anticipated!

Post a Comment