Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 510 - January 6, 2011

I was so excited on Tuesday about the possibility of seeing ultrasound pictures of our baby girl, but surprise, surprise, there were none. It was disappointing to say the least and I'm considering calling the hospital where I had the ultrasound to find out if they would give me any pictures they have on file. They are my medical records after all. Don't I have a right to them? We'll see.

As for our midwive's appointment, everything went very well and I actually learned something quite interesting. The results of the ultrasound showed that my placenta is in the front. This was wonderful news because not only does that mean I don't need to worry about the possibility of placenta previa, but it also explains a whole lot. Remember when I went in for my first appointment at 13 weeks and was devastated because the midwife couldn't find the baby's heartbeat? Well, the anterior placement of the placenta was likely the reason we didn't hear a thing. At our appointment in December, the midwife asked me if I had felt the baby move yet. I told her that I had maybe felt something, but didn't really know. When our midwife read the results of the ultrasound, it became very clear to her why it took me longer to feel fetal movement. This is just another reminder that we may not understand certain things all of the time, but God's timing is perfect and we need to trust in that.

3 comments:

Karen said...

It's also a good reminder that the "norms" that we read about are not normal for everyone. Every baby is different and their development is unique! Lydia is 13 months old and just got her first tooth, and it was a top one and not the bottom...but she's perfectly okay and will have all her teeth at some point!

Karen :)

Melissa said...

Ah yes.... such a good reminder. I had anterior placenta for both of our boys and they had a hard time finding Reid's heartbeat the first time too. I eventually had HARD kicks and lots of them with both. I imagine that pretty soon you will be feeling (& seeing) your little girls kicks and punches all the time. Its arguably the BEST part of pregnancy! I know you'll enjoy it. I can't believe your medical care stories there. Just ridiculous! I think you should definitely ask for those pictures. You'll want them forever and regret it if you don't try.... you're right, it is YOUR baby after all.

Thanks to Karen (above) for making me feel better about our toothless (almost) 11-month-old. I'm not worried and love the unexpected extension of his adorable gummy smile... but its nice to know he's not the only one!

~Mel

Elly said...

Yup, take heart! LBC's placenta is posterior, which is why *his* (as in the generic use of the possessive pronoun) heartbeat is always so easy to find. But I still haven't felt any movements... I know it's still a little early, but I sort of thought I'd be lucky enough to feel it by now. I just can't wait to feel him move!!

And I agree with Mel--follow-up on the ultrasound pictures. They're so special.

Post a Comment