Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 514 - January 10, 2011

I'm 22 weeks today and my BabyCenter update tells me that Itty Bitty is almost 1 pound and is starting to look like a miniature newborn! It's exciting to finally look pregnant. I remember saying to my hubby sometime in month 3 that I couldn't wait to look pregnant and get past the "maybe she's just gained a little weight" phase.


It was on Christmas Eve that I really began to notice my belly was growing. I was lying in bed with my hand on my tummy feeling baby move around inside of me when all of a sudden, I felt the softest skin I've ever touched. My mind immediately went back to my high school family studies class in parenting. Let me go back for a minute and explain. This parenting class was probably my favourite class of all time. Each student was given 2-3 days to parent an electronic baby and I was beyond thrilled when my turn came around and I "gave birth" to my sweet little Carson Alexander. My friends at the time thought it was pretty funny that exactly 9 months after I began seeing my high school boyfriend, I was walking around the school with a baby. Anyway, back to the point. My family studies teacher at the time was pregnant and I loved hearing her pregnancy updates each day and soaking in as much information as I could. I remember this particular conversation so clearly. One of my classmates had commented on the fact that our teacher's belly button had popped over the weekend. (Aside: I went to a very small high school where students and teachers often had really close relationships, so a conversation about belly buttons wasn't odd.) Our teacher began telling us about her recent discovery. She said that as your pregnant belly grows, your belly button stretches and changes shape, and for many women eventually pops. As this happens, she said you'll feel the softest skin you've ever felt. Your belly button skin is like a newborn baby's bottom. It's been hidden away since you were born and hasn't been exposed to the elements the way the rest of your body has. She admitted that she often found herself just touching the softness of that skin. So, on Christmas Eve, when I came across this soft skin on my body, I ran to the mirror to see the changes for myself. My belly button has definitely changed shape and I'm waiting for the day it pops. Will it completely gross you out if I admit that for about a week, I found myself reaching for my belly button throughout the day just to feel that newborn softness and even convinced my hubby to touch it a few times?


Anyway, I'm so glad my hubby and I were both feeling well enough this weekend to take those 5 month pregnancy photos I've been wanting to. It would be simple enough to take a photo of my growing belly against a wall in our apartment every month, but for me, I see these pregnancy photoshoots around our neighbourhood as an opportunity to get dressed up and feel beautiful. Since I spend the majority of my days in sweatpants in front of a computer and a TV screen, I look forward to the one time a month where I put on some make up and one of the many dresses I have in my closet that my hubby says I don't wear often enough. I can't wait to share these photos with my daughter someday, so she can see how much I loved carrying her and to show her how beautiful and wonderful pregnancy is.

8 comments:

~Dawn~ said...

You look GORGEOUS!!

My belly button never popped. I wanted it to, but it never did!

Crystal said...

Beautiful! You make me miss being pregnant!

Thanks for visiting and following my blog.
Have a wonderful week!
Crystal
http://kennedymomandwife.blogspot.com

Kelly L said...

I love your pictures... Congratulations - being a mom is the best privilege that God has given me..
Enjoy every moment.

Love from your newest "stalker" on FMBT
Kelly
I've Become My Mother

AirForceWife and Mommy of Two said...

Thanks for following! LOVE your blog! Congrats on being pregnant. Like Kelly L said..Being a mom is the best privilege ever!!! Such a blessing from God. I am not following you back. Happy Tuesday!

MsBabyPlan said...

You look like sunshine :)!

I am your new follower.

Misfit Momma aka Missy said...

Gorgeous photos!

Following you from Follow Me Back Tuesday! Please follow me back at Misfit Momma... After Hours! {adults only!}

Karen said...

So beautiful! But it's hard to see your belly in these pictures! Do you have some that show your growing belly more? Can you believe that my belly button has already started to pop? Happens a lot faster with the second. Lydia likes to point to it when I'm nursing her and loves the word "belly button". It's a precious time!

Karen said...

Oops, just realized the picture on the top of you web-site shows your belly!

Post a Comment