Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 522 - January 18, 2011

We've all heard about The Dirty Dozen and for those of you who haven't, it's probably time you familiarize yourself with this list of fruits and vegetables.

The Dirty Dozen:

1. Peaches/Nectarines

2. Apples

3. Sweet Bell Peppers

4. Celery

5. Strawberries

6. Raspberries

7. Cherries

8. Pears

9. Grapes

10. Spinach

11. Lettuce

12. Potatoes

(I read that Blueberries have recently been added as well.)

The produce in this list has been found to have the highest pesticide residue, so we're encouraged to buy organic when shopping for these foods to avoid contamination. Buying and eating organic is wonderful, but for a lot of people it's just not affordable all the time. Just last week, I was at the grocery store buying apples and they had a great sale on sweet, crisp Braeburn apples for only 49 cents/lb. The organic variety was well over double the price. Trying to keep our grocery bill as low as possible, I opted for the non-organic apples (as I often do). I have always washed our produce under tap water, but in an attempt to keep my baby from as many harmful chemicals as possible, I have recently begun using a homemade produce wash to get our fruits and veggies as pesticide free as I can. It is so simple to make and I really wish I had been doing this for years. I thought I would share the recipe for those of you who have seen it before and thought about using it in the past (like I did) and are now ready to take the pesticide-free produce plunge!

Homemade Produce Wash
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp baking soda

Mix the vinegar and baking soda in a spray bottle first. Then add the water. Spray on produce and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off. Always use this on non-organic produce!


3 comments:

Xmas Dolly said...

Already a follower just visiting from Follow Me Back Tuesday. Have a great day! Come check out my give-away!

Suzanne said...

What a great solution! Thanks for sharing it!!

Stephanie said...

A good reminder, I used to use this all the time (my recipe also includes 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract) but I've gotten lazy, I'm going to get back on this really great bandwagon!

Post a Comment