Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 546 - February 11, 2011

Every year on my birthday, my mother would bake a double layer heart-shaped cherry chip cake and decorate it with bright pink icing and red cinnamon hearts. I was her Valentine's baby and it became a tradition to celebrate my birthday with pink hearts and candy. Growing up, I loved that tradition and looked forward to my Valentine's themed birthday cake. As I enjoyed a slice of cake each year, I imagined carrying on the tradition and baking heart-shaped Valentine's cakes and cookies for my children. I can't wait to make itty bitty her first pink cake!

Since the heart-shaped pan my mother used is back in Canada, I knew I needed a different plan for my birthday cake this year. (I really need to just go out and buy a new pan of my own.) Anyway, when I first saw this cake on i am baker, my jaw dropped. It was the most gorgeous cake I had ever seen and I knew I just had to recreate it for my 27th birthday!


It didn't quite turn out as I had hoped. The roses aren't as uniform as I wish they were. The icing was a little too warm which made some of the side roses fall a bit. There are gaps between some of the flowers that I wish I had filled. I know it was my first time piping beautiful roses on a cake and that every new skill takes time to perfect, but I just really wanted it to be beautiful the first time.

There were many times while decorating the cake that I was tempted to scrape the icing flowers off and start from scratch, but then I would think of itty bitty. I don't want my daughter to grow up thinking everything from colouring a picture to icing a birthday cake needs to be perfect. I'm a perfectionist and I've decided I need to let that go for itty's sake. I need to teach her to do her best and not beat herself up over a misshapen rose the way I often do. I want her to know that it's okay to colour outside the lines and that icing a cake is about being creative and having fun. Life is not about perfection. God surely doesn't expect me to be perfect, so why do I expect perfection of myself?

So this year on my birthday, I'm giving myself a pass. This year, I won't beat myself up over little things. I'll try to be the best wife and mother I can be, but recognize that I will be far from perfect and that's okay. It sounds easy enough, but I know it will be a struggle for me. This year, I am praying that God will help me let go of my need for perfection.

6 comments:

Elly said...

Happy birthday, Andrea! I think it looks delicious and yummy!!!

Melissa said...

Well, I think it looks beautiful!!!! Happy Birthday! 3 cheers for the best year yet ahead! And yes.... it IS hard to let go of perfectionism in motherhood but its also IMPOSSIBLE and one could drive themselves crazy trying (I would know!) so good for you for working on letting that go already... you'll thank yourself and have happier kids because of it!

Stephanie said...

I agree with Mel!! So hard but so worth it when I can let some of that go!

Happy Birthday sis, I love you so much!

Kittie Howard said...

Happy Birthday, Andrea! *sends pink flowers* Your cake is beautiful! And the first time you piped roses! I couldn't do that, honest! I think being too much of a perfectionist helps shatter who we are, a cycle, because if X isn't perfect, the person isn't perfect. Oy!

Erin Coffey said...

Happy Birthday Andrea!
Your cakes are always amazing :)
We are so excited to welcome another little one into the family & are looking forward to your visit soon.

With Love,
Erin, Rick, David & Chantal

Amber @ Lucky Lees to Be ♥ said...

I found you through Courtney @ We Three Dyes. I LOVE your blog! I'm now following! This cake looks awesome! Once I got to this pic I stopped and stared at how cool it looks! I think you did a great job of it! It looks professional, no joke!

Post a Comment