Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 578 - March 15, 2011

I've never been a big believer in hypnosis. You know the kind of hypnosis you see on TV where the hypnotist puts people into a trance and makes them do crazy and embarrassing things? I've always been a little bit skeptical and thought it was kind of ridiculous.

About a year and a half ago, I heard that my cousin was attending hypnobirthing classes in preparation for the birth of her daughter. The more I looked into it, I realized it wasn't at all about clucking like a chicken during labour or performing any other ridiculous task. Hypnobirthing is about empowering mothers and allowing them to be focused, relaxed, connected, and really present during their labour. It sounded exactly like the experience I wanted giving birth to my children.

My husband and I attended an introductory birth hypnosis class on Friday night. We learned a self-hypnosis technique which I've been practicing every night before bed and the state of deep and peaceful relaxation has lead me to fall asleep within minutes and awake feeling very rested each morning. I have found myself more relaxed in the past few days as I remind myself to take deep breathes before reacting to the pile of clothes left of the bedroom floor. If I can keep this up, I think my husband's going to really like the new me and the more relaxed, life-doesn't-have-to-be-perfect Andrea (remember the white rose birthday cake post?) is going to make a better mother as well.

I have a book on hold at the library that my cousin recommended called, "Hypnobirthing: the Mongan method: a natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing." I'm looking forward to reading it in the coming weeks and hopefully finding and practicing more techniques that will help me prepare for labour and achieve my perfect birth experience.

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Andrea, you have such a positive attitude and such a happy personality I can only think that your baby's birth will be memory sweet.

Jen said...

What an interesting post! I have a blog award for you over on my blog!

http://jens525600minutes.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea! I'm so glad you're looking into Hypnobirthing! I knew it would be right up your alley. We'll see how this next birth goes, but I swear that it helped my dream birth happen with Lydia. I'd love to chat about it if you want, since I'm starting to read the book again too and will be taking the classes as a refresher in May.

Karen

Post a Comment