Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 601 - April 8, 2011

I have always known that I wanted to breastfeed my babies and have looked forward to the indescribable bond that develops between mother and child. I know the physical and emotional benefits of breastfeeding, but I read something the other night that I hadn't ever really considered.

"...one of the nicest things about breastfeeding is that it lets you take little breaks throughout your busy day.... Your life may seem to speed up faster and faster, but when you're breastfeeding, you'll have to take time to gather [her] up in your arms and be still for a few minutes. A few deep breaths later, and life seems simple again."
(The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 8th Edition)

I'm sure it's very easy for new mothers to think of feedings as somewhat of a chore. Like laundry and diaper changes, it's something that needs to be done frequently and can take you away from other things that you're doing. Instead of thinking about feeding as just another item on the daily to-do list, I want to remember that it's a break. A time to be still. A time when a sink full of dishes can wait. A time where my computer is no where in sight. A time where there is nothing to do but to gaze into my baby's beautiful eyes and tell her how much I love her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so true! When Lydia was really small, I loved being able to take a break from visitors even and go to a quiet space to nurse her. It was relaxing for both of us. The bond that develops only gets stronger the longer you nurse. I think I enjoyed it the most after a year, when we would interact more with each other. It's how Lydia learned the parts of her face! :)

Karen

Tami Marie said...

This is a great photo. I always admire photographers who can find the best angle to take a shot from. It makes the pic look so fantastic.

Tami
The Things We Find Inside

Post a Comment