Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 608 - April 15, 2011

Have I mentioned that I've been experiencing contractions for the last few weeks? They are sporadic and, for the most part, painless, although they are happening more frequently each day. I'd like to believe that active labour contractions will be just as enjoyable as these ones, but I know I'd just be kidding myself.

Labour has never scared me. I've never been fearful of the process of birthing my baby and from the moment I found out I was pregnant, I've been joyfully anticipating the day when I will give birth to my sweet daughter. Maybe it's because I witnessed countless unmedicated births while volunteering as a midwife in Benin, Africa. My memories of the birth experiences I witnessed give me strength and confidence that I can do it too.

Last night at our childbirth preparation class, we discussed our fears and concerns. Being that it's a class for couples who have chosen to birth at home or in a birthing center, most of the women in our class feared hospitals. Some feared labour pain and c-sections and others feared that there may be something wrong with their babies. One father-to-be shared that he has a fear that his child will be born a "hermaphro-squatch." This particular couple has opted to forgo all ultrasounds and testing, so they feel like there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to their baby. He often imagines the baby coming out with both male and female genitalia and with his/her skin covered in a thick coat of hair like a sasquatch, hence the name "hermaphro-squatch." Fears, no matter how ridiculous they may sound, are normal.

Anyway, back to my contractions. Each time my belly tightens up, I am reminded of how amazing a woman's body is in preparing for labour. So while my body prepares itself to release my baby girl into the world, I'm preparing meals to freeze, washing little onesies, and tackling to-do lists that seem to grow hourly.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good that you are organized like that. It will really make a difference having healthy meals available, especially since you don't have family close by. So exciting that your body is warming up for labour! You are getting more reminders that your baby is going to be here soon!

Karen :)

Post a Comment