Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 632 - May 9, 2011

I'm 39 weeks and still pregnant! I say "still" because I just got a call from our midwives' office telling me that my appointment this evening is canceled because all of the midwives on staff are at births today. And whose births are they attending? My childbirth preparation classmates! I'm thrilled that our friends are becoming parents today, but it does leave me wondering when our day will come. I gave Itty the go-ahead to arrive last Saturday because there was nothing I wanted more than to spend Mother's Day kissing and cuddling my little girl, but I guess she thought my Mother's Day would be more relaxing if she just stayed inside a while longer.

Throughout this pregnancy, I have never expected that I would deliver early. I have always assumed that I would reach my due date, which is only 7 days from now, but when your friends start going into labor and their due dates were after yours, it does make you think.

On Sunday, we were out with some friends for a Mother's Day brunch when a lady approached me and asked me when I was due. I told her I only had a week to go and she looked shocked. "Wow! You look incredible!" she said. "You were made to have babies. Seriously, you should have, like, 12." I don't think we'll go that far, but it sure is nice to hear such lovely comments from a stranger this late in the pregnancy.

A few minutes later, a little girl, who I'd say was about 8 or 9 years old, stood in front of me and just stared at my tummy. Then, without looking up, she began lightly poking my belly and asked, "Is there a baby in there?" "Yes, there is," I said. She smiled, then turned her head to the side with a puzzled look on her face. "What's that?" she said, pointing to the little bump in the middle of my stomach. "That's my belly button," I responded. "Oh," she said and walked away. I couldn't help but laughed.

My friend, Holly, the one who's pregnant with Itty's boyfriend, took a nice picture of Greg and I on the beach yesterday, but she hasn't sent it yet. I'll be sure to post it when I get it.

1 comments:

Kirsten said...

That totally happened to me. a friend and 2 family members were due after me, but they all had their babies first. It was a little annoying.
I know it's WAY hard to be patient, but really do enjoy this last little time with the two of you. Good luck!

Post a Comment