Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 642 - May 19, 2011


I took a long walk to the library yesterday. I've become somewhat of a regular there. There are always interesting books to pick up or the latest issues of my favourite magazines to catch up on. The librarians know me well and are usually anxious to hear the latest pregnancy updates when I come in. One woman is always so encouraging and tells me every time that if she could delivery her baby naturally, I sure as heck can do it.

Yesterday, I met someone new. I'm not sure whether she worked at the library or not, but she definitely walked around like she owned the place. I was on my way to the bathroom when this older woman cornered me and asked, "Any time now?" I told her that I had just passed my due date and she literally squatted down in front of me and held her hands out, how should I put this, very close to the birth canal. I'm not joking. Her hands were a little too close for comfort. She proceeded to follow me into the restroom. "You'll never believe this," she said. "I was in a hospital elevator once and there was a pregnant lady in there with me, riding up to the labor and delivery floor. She delivered right there in the elevator and I had to catch the baby." "Wow," was all I could muster. At this point, my bladder was about to explode and I'm thinking this lady is a little crazy. I tried to make my way into the bathroom stall, but she stopped me and asked, "Is it a boy?" "No, it's a girl," I said. "Do you have a name yet?" she asked. I sort of lied and told her that we hadn't yet decided and wanted to wait to see what she looked like. The lady was shocked. "Hmmm...," she said, "What's your name?" "Andrea," I answered. "Okay, Andrea. How about Angela? Yes, Angela Marie." Her eyes lit up. She went on to suggest Angela Michelle and Meaghan as other options. I didn't tell her that Angela is the name of one of my husband's ex-girlfriend's or that Meaghan is potentially the name of my future sister-in-law. No, I just smiled and said, "What beautiful suggestions." She went on about how honored she'd be if I named the baby after her and that she'd be the baby's godmother and take her shopping and to the movies and out to eat. At this point, I decided to close the bathroom stall door.

Speaking of baby names, we got an email this morning announcing the arrival of the third baby from our childbirth preparation class. A beautiful little girl with quite a unique name. Galaxy Lyzalou. I sure didn't see that one coming, but I cannot wait to meet her in the coming weeks! If the trend continues, we're next in line to deliver!

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow. That must have been quite the experience. Some people are quite interesting around pregnant women. Good luck being next!

Kelly L said...

People can be so weird... I would have been a little freaked...
I've Become My Mother
I've Become My Mother facebook
Kelly's Ideas
Amazing Salvation

Stephanie said...

SO weird! You might need to avoid her at the library when little Angela is born!

Post a Comment