Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 72 - August 5, 2011

I was pushing Adelyn's stroller through the produce aisle this afternoon when I noticed a woman eying us. She slowly made her way over and began peering over my shoulder to get a good look at my little sweetie in her car seat. "Oh, how cute," she said. I smiled. "Thank you," I responded. Then she looked up at me, straight-faced, and asked, "Is it a boy or a girl?" I stood shocked and just stared at her for several seconds before saying, "She's a girl" and walking off.

Now, I understand that it can often be difficult to guess a newborn's gender. I've been wrong a few times myself, but that's when the baby's wearing a yellow or mint green sleeper, not a hot pink flower headband! Are you kidding me, lady? What mother in their right mind would dress their little boy head to toe in hot pink?

Am I missing something? Is there anything in this picture that would give you the impression that she's a boy?


This isn't the first time this has happened either. One time, Adelyn was wearing a pink and green flowered sleeper and another time, she was dressed in purple polka dots. Only, on both of these occasions, the women didn't bother asking her gender and just assumed she was a boy. I guess I should be happy that the lady today at least asked instead of just calling her 'him.'

3 comments:

Susan said...

We used to get "oh what a pretty little girl" about my oldest boy (he's now turning 6). To be fair, it took us awhile to cut his hair and he had long blond curls. (We just loved it so - and that first "little boy" cut really seemed to mark his leaving "babyhood".) It always stumped me, though, because despite the hair he was usually dirty from the playground, wearing a t-shirt with a dinosaur or a truck on it, standing at the top of a playground slide and hollering at the top of his lungs. He couldn't be more "boy-ish" and yet some people had trouble. Go figure!

Melissa said...

Adelyn is ALL GIRL. Nothing boyish about that pretty little face! (not to mention the obvious hot pink headband!)

Kirsten said...

People are soooo clueless sometimes. It's happened to me too, and I'm like "really?" Some old people (like men in the grocery store) usually just say "him" no matter what, why I don't know, but it's just so weird when women do it and the outfit couldn't be more gender specific. Super cute girlie! Love her headbands. Kaia needs some like that!

Post a Comment